A fantastic Friday to all of our Elio friends and fans. This was an exciting week for everyone involved as we crossed the 10,000 reservation plateau. This is the true definition of a team effort as we couldn’t have achieved this without you! This is just one step of our journey as we move on to bigger and better places. How high can we take this? 25,000? 50,000? Together anything is possible!
Last week we answered many of the most popular questions that have come our way. Many of you wondered why we didn’t answer any on the engine. All was done by design because we knew that this week we had the guru when it comes to the Elio/IAV engine, Kody, the Project Director for the Elio/IAV powertrain. Here we go:
Q. Let’s start off with an easy one: What type of oil will the engine take? Can we use synthetic oil?
- The oil that is currently specified for the engine is 5w 20, a standard motor oil. As for synthetic, those specs will have to follow as we are working with our oil partner to find the right blend for our engine. Oh, and the change interval for the oil will be just like most automotive engines, 3,000 miles.
Q. What type of fuel injection will the Elio/IAV engine have?
- Our engine will be designed with sequential port fuel injection as a fuel delivery method. This allows us to control the fuel usage more accurately which leads to the outstanding gas mileage that we will achieve, 84 mpg on the highway.
Q. Are we going to use a timing chain or belt?
- The all-aluminum, liquid cooled Elio engine will use a timing chain. We chose to go with the timing chain because of durability.
Q. What is the final horsepower rating going to be?
- The current spec for the horsepower is 55. We do have the ability, however, to move that number either up (over 60hp) or down to achieve our goal of 84 mpg highway. The fine tuning of the engine performance curve is in process now to ensure that we hit the targeted 84 mpg highway.
Q. Finally, what air filter will be used and can it be replaced with a performance filter?
- The air filter for the Elio engine will be an “off the shelf” solution keeping in concert with the overall strategy of using existing parts where we can. As for a performance air filter, yes, you will be able to use them if you would like.
Thanks again to all of you for your support. 10K is a great stepping stone on our way to changing the way you move!
Happy Friday Elio’ers! This also happens to be Valentine’s Day so here is a picture of our “sweetheart.”
Did you get out and get that someone special a gift yet? If not, it isn’t too late to reserve your special one(s) an Elio, click here to get started!
The blog this week will concentrate on some frequently asked questions from the many ways to communicate with Elio Motors – our website, email, Facebook, Twitter, tour stops, blog comments, snail mail, and more. We “love” the amount of interest and detail of the questions that we receive. Sometimes the questions are detailed to the point that it feels like people are trying to build an Elio for themselves! We will always strive for transparency but sometimes we need to keep the secret sauce under wraps! Let’s look at a couple of the questions:
Q. How much does the Elio weigh?
- The targeted curb weight for production for the Elio is 1250 pounds. That includes the Elio Safety Management System of three airbags, steel reinforced roll cage with side intrusion beams, seat belts, stability control and ABS.
Q. Will there be a destination/delivery fee for the Elio?
- Yes, there will be a destination/delivery fee for the Elio. The final numbers are not yet determined, but we will work toward making it as reasonable as possible just like our vehicle. As customary with other vehicles, there will also be taxes and licensing costs when you buy your Elio.
Q. Where can I see the vehicle now? How about a test drive?
- The current prototype is on tour across the US now. The tour stops are published on our website (www.eliomotors.com under News and Events) and Facebook page. These events will give you a chance to see the Elio, sit in it and “try it on for size”. As far as taking a test drive, look for that to happen as we hit production.
Q. When do I get my production number/spot in line and who gets one?
- The production numbers, a.k.a. the “Spot in Line”, is a special perk only for the $1000 All In reservation holders. Approximately five weeks after your $1000 All In reservation you will receive an email from us alerting you to your vehicle number. That number, your number, will signify the same number vehicle coming off the assembly line. So, if you were the seventh person with a $1000 All in reservation, you would get the seventh vehicle that rolls off the assembly line! This distinguished group is the only group that will get a number now because they are assured that no one can go ahead of them in line by making a larger reservation.
Q. Why did the prototype change recently?
- We get this question (in different forms) a lot. The project is unique from many standpoints and the prototype process is one of them. As a company, we have chosen to bring you along for the ride as we develop and fine tune the vehicle for market. So, instead of hiding the prototypes and doing a single unveiling in 2015, we are showing you how the vehicle develops from idea through reality. The project is really about creating a vehicle that changes the way you move. It will fulfill four tenets, our vision:
- 84 mpg highway
- Engineered for a 5-star safety rating
- Made in America
The changes we make are to fulfill our commitment to you for those four tenets. Want to customize something – do it! There will be endless opportunities to personalize your Elio – limited only by your imagination!
Q. Where is the antenna?
- The antenna for the standard AM/FM radio is in the body of the vehicle… can’t get more aerodynamic than that!
Q. Is this electric? Why not make this with diesel or CNG?
- The simple answer is gasoline remains the most practical, cost effective, and generally accepted fuel for our customers in the US market today. Gas powered automotive engines are a proven technology (eliminating significant technological risk) that has significant infrastructure and support. It is premature to discuss, but we believe that the Elio platform is perfect for alternative power plants, including diesel, CNG and electric, in the future.
We will continue to address additional questions as we move forward with you on our journey.
Have a fantastic Valentine’s Day and a great weekend and as always thanks for your support and help in spreading the Elio love!
Hey Elio Fans and Friends. Check out the new title and look! What do you think? Every day we get better and better – and a step closer to making your Elio!
January 2014 is coming to an end today and this month was the best month in the history of Elio Motors. Elio is taking the world by storm and the news keeps growing. The following is a sampling of how Elio has generated interest with notable media outlets:
Fox Business News Article with our CEO Paul Elio: click here
Gizmag Article: click here
Yahoo News: click here
Autobloggreen: click here
MLive: click here
GreenOptimistic: click here
Then of course we rolled out the brand new prototype, P4, at Sundance. Here are a couple of pictures you haven’t seen yet:
The vehicle production continues to make significant progress at our monthly Supplier Summit held this week in Michigan. The Summit is where the Elio Motors team of supplier partners, engineers, designers and manufacturing folks get together to work on the vehicle as a team. The outcome is always inspiring and the energy that this process generates is contagious. This week we had 30 supplier partners and over 100 professionals participate in the meeting. There is nothing quite like getting a group of really smart people in a room to move a great project forward. See for yourself…
Thanks for checking back in today, we will have more information again next week. Please keep sharing your passion for Elio Motors with your friends, family and co-workers. The more people who know about us the better we all become! Also, have you signed up for our mailing list? We introduced a new weekly feature this week, Tech Talk, that will be emailed to the mailing list so it is a great time to sign up. Click here to be taken to our website and fill in the form at the bottom of the page.
Have a great Super Bowl weekend!